Sunday, June 7, 2009

Stubborness

It's been a very good weekend. Catherine and Nathan and I hung out last night. It was pretty fun. Of course Nathan and I fought, we always bicker. He claims to "see right through me" and thinks that I am "very predictable". This is so not so. At one point, before meeting up with Catherine, he demanded that I get in his car so we could go to the restaurant. I thought that was a dumb idea- getting there 40 mins early is not my idea of fun- so I told him as much. He said I'd be stuck at his house if I didn't leave with him right away. I told him I doubted that very much.

He left. I figured he was just loitering in the front lawn, waiting for me to come out so he could gloat. I was having none of that. Instead, I stayed on the sofa and chatted with Chris, his roommate. It was a nice little time. I was surprise that Nathan hadn't given up and come back inside, but I assumed he was trying to be a "man" or a "boss" or something. Or he was trying to make me get over my pride, as he always does.

At this point, Catherine called and said she'd be at Addison's in like 30 mins, so I went outside to tell Nathan. His car was gone. I was surprised, so I giggled to myself. I decided to give in and call him. He screened my call! So I called again, and the same thing happened. As he had picked my up from my place, i didn't have my car. There was no way I was going to sit and wait for him to return, just to have him feel like a winner, so I decided to walk home.

It was a nice night and I don't live too far away (though I did have to cross a scary street, which I handled like a champ). During my walk, Nathan called. I gave him the same treatment and screened it. Then he texted saying "I hope Catherine's picking you up, cuz I'm not getting you." So I texted back "Actually, I'm walking home. Bet you didn't expect that." I felt smug. He wrote back "Just walk to Addison's." I didn't like his apathetic response, so I sent "Nope. We changed locations." and he said "why?" which was what I wanted. "Because you're a douchebag."

After that, I felt a little better, but I thought maybe it sounded emotional, which was not what I wanted. But I kept walking until I came to an intersection that I had to turn on. As I approached it, I saw this creeper with a beard leering at me. I felt super uncomfortable. I'm sure I started muttering to myself. And then I heard "Jess, what are you doing?" And then I realized it was Nathan (he doesn't have a beard, so I guess it was just shadows). He had come back for me, so all was right in the world. I hopped in the car. He denies having screened me, he said his 3G was out. Maybe, maybe not.

After that we had a blast. Nathan left after Addison's, but Catherine and I walked around downtown and chatted. It was wonderful. I learned stuff about her and she about me. I'd sort of forgotten that candid girl talk is fun. I also learned how much I love to hear my own voice. I'm working on my listening skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment