Friday, June 5, 2009

I'm kind of a rock star.

Last night was amazing. So I texted Alex yesterday because we've been meaning to hangout, but we never do. Thankfully she had no plans, so I suggested that we hit up Eastside for a round of kareoke. Would I be doing kareoke? Not without copious amounts alcohol. But I decided it would be fun to watch the people with balls show off their chops.

So I met Alex, her bf Nick, and this guy he's known since kindergarten, Shannon. Incidentally, I learned that their kindergarten was only half a day- either in the morning or afternoon. No fair! We wrote paragraphs all day.

Anyway, we all meet up at the bar and order our drinks. I only had my debit card and they had a $10 minimum with cards. I handed mine over right away, and in return got an Amerretto Sour. It tasted different then I'm used to, and that's when I realized he'd (the bartender) used a cherry syrup instead of putting a cherry in it. Which was fine as I don't like cherries.

We grabbed a table and got to know each other better. I downed my drink and got another one. I came back, we chatted some more. I looked at the people on stage and knew I had to be one. I had to sing. As I was very tipsy, I wasn't gone enough to sing and I also hadn't spent my $10 yet. So I went back to the bar and the guy was like "another one?" and I was like, "ya know what? I'ma branch out. Can you give me something appley? I like Appletinis." He looked at me like I was a challenge and I loved that. He pursed his lips and said "I'll give you something that I invented, I call it 'Hulk Smashed'. I'll even put it in a martini glass to make you feel fancy, just don't break it. You'll love it." "if it's got alcohol I'm sure I will." 

After a lot of mixing, he presented me with a huge green drink. He said "I call it Hulk Smashed because it's green and it's all alcohol- no mixer." I sighed a big sigh of gratitude- this man must have been me in a past-life. He knew that I don't play around.

I took the drink to my table and loved it. It did the trick enough to make me grab a song book. That's right, I signed myself up for Kareoke. The boys were playing pool at this point, but Alex was with me and flat-out refused to sing with me. She did, however, help me pick the song I was to sing (which was really a paltry consolation prize). We debated between Shania Twain, Shaggy, Gavin Degraw and Kelly Clarkson. 

Ms. Clarkson won. Before I could second guess myself, I submitted my form with "Since You've Been Gone" on the top. After that was done, Alex and I found the boys and challenged them to a game of pool. It was neck and neck until the end. Only the cue ball and 8 ball were on the table. It was my (or Alex's, I don't remember) turn, I was about to win when the dude called my name!

I shrieked "that's me" and ran to the stage. He said "This is the first time in the 3 years we've been doing this that someone has performed Kelly Clarkson." I felt very proud of this. Oddly enough, when I went on stage, my nerves were gone. I wasn't afraid anymore. Alex and the gang made their way to the front to cheer me on. I rocked like I have never rocked before. But I wasn't the only one rocking! Everyone in the bar was singing with me! It was very amazing, one of the proudest moments of my life.

After taking a bow and doing some high-fives, I left the stage to find that not only had I conquered my singing fear but we had also won the pool game! Shannon had called the wrong pocket, so it was a win, but sort of by default.

They went out to smoke and I went to get my purse. As I was walking to the back of the bar, this 40 year old (at least) Mexican dude motioned for me to come sit by him. I giggled, wished I had a pocket-knife to threaten him with, and told him I couldn't, I had to get my purse. I could feel his eyes on me the whole time.

After grabbing my bag, I made the mistake of getting too close to him. He reached out and grabbed my hand- he had a firm grip too! I was like 'oh shit, what the fuck? My boobs aren't even out at all.'

I giggled and said I had to meet my friends who had left. I tried to take my hand back, but he squeezed harder and said "I Love You." I was like omg, really dude? You could have birthed me. "You don't know me." "I Love You." I yanked my arm away like it was about to be cut off by a train.

After I closed my tab and met up with my crew, I found that he had squeezed Alex's ass earlier. I felt a little less special. Oh well. Then we went to El Rancho and then back to my place. 

It was a successful evening, to say the least.

1 comment: