Wednesday, May 6, 2009

I'll talk about anything, but grades. Keep that shit personal.

So, I was in the shower, and I started to think, as I often do. When I'm not thinking, I'm playing a fun game that I invented, but I feel it may be too suggestive for you to handle. But if you (and as per the title of my blog, I have to assume there is a "you") continue to get know me via this blogging thing, you'll have to realize that I can be a real perv. 

But, I was thinking this time about school/grades. Finals are coming up (tomorrow, to be exact) so grades are naturally going to be on my mind. I am really apathetic to the subject. I don't know why, but I've never cared about excelling at school. Ultimately, as long as I graduate, I don't care about my grades so much. I know that I am going to be successful in the future, so I don't stress the small stuff. I tend to be the girl that makes Cs is classes she doesn't care about. But, in full disclosure, I had to repeat Economics and Statistics (why does a journalism major need those?) as I flunked them (and I remember a 'D' being a passing grade in the old days, oh well). In more disclosure, I got a D in Econ the second time around. I didn't even tell my mom that, and she has a right to know, as she pays my tuition, but I figured it was best not to worry her. My advisor didn't say I had to repeat it, so that I was good. I didn't flat out ask her, but I told her to take a good hard look at my transcript and see if I was on the correct path to graduating. She said everything looked great. I opted not to press her.

Anyway, in the shower, I was thinking about about other people's grades. It really annoys me when people talk about them. I get especially annoyed when people are like "I got an A-, this is going to kill my average," and stuff like that. I nod, frown, and tell them that I feel bad for them. I don't really. I'm thinking "shut the fuck up and get over yourself." 

You may think that's me being jealous, but it's not. As long as I pass, I don't need to get straight As. I just think it's so rude, unless you were almost Valedictorian, then I could understand your frustration. It's the same as saying, "Man, I only have $1000 in my account, I'm broke." It's like, fool, I make $119 every two weeks, so back off.

 I especially dislike it when people get their test back and are like "What did you get?" They're only asking because they did really well and want to brag, or they want to see who they're smarter than. Whenever I get a good grade, I don't talk about it, because it's expected. And if I don't do well, I shrug it off. But if I am curious about how other people did, I say "Man, I got a D, can I see what a good paper looks like?" or something, as it's polite that way.

I don't know why, but talking grades really skeeves me out. Also, when people make their status "I just got a 4.0, I rock"- I get annoyed. I'm Jesus, here we go again. But, my status today was about a grade I got back, but it was about how much my teacher hated an essay I wrote, so I found the negative status to be ok.

So basically, keep your grade problems to yourself. If you do need to talk to me about them, then do, just know that I may be smiling, but I'm imagining myself beating you to a pulp.


No comments:

Post a Comment