Saturday, May 9, 2009

I want to be a Revolutionary

I had an ok day. I did some studying, had dinner and dessert with some pals, and am now taking another study break. I've decided that it would be in my best interest to actually read the book that my History of Germany professor assigned, as he said one of the essays on the final will come from the book. 

The book is called Joschka Fischer and the Making of the Berlin Republic, which is a biography. At first this book bored me to tears, which is why I have been putting off reading it. But once I got 100 pages in, it actually became interesting.

Joschka is a man who was dissatisfied with his life. In an effort to disobey his parents, he fled to another country to marry his girlfriend. He was like 19 or 20, but in Germany you had to have your parents permission to wed if you were under 21 (which I think should still be in effect here in the US, but that's a subject for another blog). After that, he travelled around, sitting in on college classes, learning Marx's theories and other Left-Wing extremists' ideologies. Soon, he became a ring leader for people who wanted a change. 

He preached a violent overthrow, though. When they did sit-ins and the police attacked them, they attacked back. With Moltav Cocktails. He led a violent group to fight the "fascist state" with their own terror. It was nuts. After a while, though, he realized that violence wasn't the answer, because you either end up dead or in jail. He had his "epiphany" after being locked-up for throwing a bomb into a cop car, killing the 23 yr old cop inside. He didn't actually do it, though. Now he's like the Minister of Something (I haven't finished the book) for Germany.

This has got me to thinking. I want to be a revolutionary. I want to fight for something I believe in. I want to stick it to The Man. I want to do sit-ins and protests and get in bar brawls. I want to live in a co-op, do shrooms and start an era that everyone will remember.

Sadly, though, I think America is great. I can't think of anything that is wrong with this country. Maybe I could protest Obama, but I'm fairly certain I'd get shot (which might actually add to my cause). If anything, I'd protest that we become a more fascist state. I don't know if anyone would be with me. So for the time being, I'm going to finish the book and think of some bandwagon I should jump on.

No comments:

Post a Comment