Sunday, July 5, 2009

Jesse + Me = Fun

This has been a good week away from Vox. I really should've worked a little on the story I'm writing, but I didn't feel like it, so I didn't. If the editors get a break, then I deserve one too.

Instead, I went home with my home girl Catherine. It was wonderful! She's from Excelsior Springs, which is a suburbish area of Kansas City. It's a rural place. I was in heaven! There were fireflies galore. Do they even have those in Baton Rouge? I don't remember.

When we rolled up to her house, we were treated like queens. Her mom (Karen) and stepdad (Mark) prepared nice burgers and fries for us. They took us on a tour of the woods they have in their backyard and showed me all of the flowers they grew. Karen even gave me a walking stick. I felt very regal.

The next day, Mark, Catherine and I went to Kearney, MO to see Jesse James' house! It was so exciting. I am obsessed with that era of history. Honestly, though, I prefer Robert Ford to Jesse- he was not a coward. He was a hero and it's a shame that he's been reviled in history.

Anyway, the house was small but nice. I learned a lot about the history and I just  loved that I got to walk where he walked and touch what he touched. 

I knew that his mom's name was Zerelda as was his wife's. I thought they had hideous names, but maybe that was just common back then. Nope- he married his first cousin, who was named after his mother. Isn't that gross. Maybe, maybe, I could marry a cousin, but if he were named after my dad? No way! Ugh!

We also went to his grave. It was neat to touch the headstone. I feel like I may have been him in my past life. We do have the same name (kind of) so there's that.

Later that night, her mom once again cooked us dinner. It was nice to be in that sort of environment. We then went to The Melting Pot for dessert. It was wonderful. We had the Yin Yang and enjoyed pleasant conversation.

I hope to go back again soon.

1 comment:

  1. I'm jealous of your Jesse James experience!

    ReplyDelete