Thursday, September 24, 2009

Rape's funny

I went to a comedy show Tuesday night. It was free and very entertaining. I laughed throughout most of it, but I also couldn't feel my face during much of that time, so my comedic sense may have been off.

But, one thing a guy said that made me both laugh and think is this: you can never say "I'm not gonna rape you" and have it be an ok, uncreepy thing to say. No matter where you put the emphasis, it's always going to scare the person you're talking to.

-I'm not gonna rape you. (that guy is)
-I'm not gonna rape you. (I'm just going to kill you)
-I'm not gonna rape you. (I already did)
-I'm not gonna rape you. (You want this)
-I'm not gonna rape you. (I'm raping your dad)

I pondered this and laughed. I wonder what I'd do if someone said that to me. I'd probably giggle uncomfortably and shrug my shoulders.

On another note, that same night, I ran into a friend of mine. When it came time to introduce her to Anthony, I said "Caroline, this is my..(lengthy pause)... Anthony." I still couldn't use that dreaded b-word.

We talked about it on the way home. It sounded like he was something I'd just picked up at the store. So now I've figured out what I feel comfortable calling him:

"Hell0, this is Anthony, my collector's item."

That'll make a person feel nice, right?

1 comment:

  1. LOL at the "rape" comment. I sat here laughing for five minutes straight! hahaha! and "my Anthony"... that works too, right?

    ReplyDelete