Tuesday, September 22, 2009

boyfriend- what a weird word

This last weekend was very a fun one. Friday night, Anthony and I met up with Nathan and some of his co-workers at this bar/pub called "The Deuce Pub and Pit". I was afraid to go for two reasons:

A) I feared it would be really fratty, which is not my ideal.
B) I wanted Anthony and Nathan to get along, and I was afraid they wouldn't.

But everything went smoothly. I started the night there by doing a tequilla shot, it was disgusting, though the people who took them agreed it was a very good kind. If what I had was very good I can't imagine what the cheap stuff tastes like. Yuck. After that, I sipped on vodka Sprites throughout the evening.

I got to do something I've always wanted to- play washers! It was so fun, like a weird version of horseshoes. Anthony and I were a team. I was great and carried us through-out the game. I kept nailing them. Anthony was not as good as me, but he did manage to get it in the hole, winning us three points, which was impressive.

After that bar, we went to the Penguin Bar, which is a piano bar. It was fun. We ran into Kirsten and doug, during which Kirsten asked me if Anthony was my boyfriend, a friend, or what. I didn't know what to say, so I just said he was a guy I knew and shrugged.

But that got me thinking: what were we? Where did we stand? So later that night, I asked him. We decided that we were indeed exclusive, but to make it really official, I told him, we had to make it known on Facebook. He agreed (of course, as if he could say 'no').

So now we're boyfriend/girlfriend. It has a weird ring to it. Boyfriend. Boyfriend. Boyfriend. What a weird sounding word- boooyfrrrriend. It sounds too mature for me. I'd rather call him dude. or lover. or my manfriend, or maybe even my boo.

I guess I'll get used to boyfriend.

3 comments:

  1. Personally, I've always been a fan of "manfriend."

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's just a label our society puts on relationships. Either we are single, dating someone, have a boyfriend/girlfriend, significant other, etc. Labels give us a reassurance and feeling of safety/normalcy. Now that the giant rant is over, boyfriend is just word.

    ReplyDelete